Twins the hard way

Twins the hard way

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Trying to Make a Baby

     Getting pregnant was not as easy as I had originally thought it would be. What made things worse was all the woman around me getting pregnant. When my older sister told me she was pregnant with her fifth child, I cried. J and I had been trying for almost six months to have a baby and every month nothing happened.      When I went to see my doctor for my annual exam he told me that if I wasn't pregnant in six months to come back with my husband to see what he could do.
     Six months later we were back in his office. Tests were ordered for both of us and we started right away.
     All the tests came back negative. There was no reason for us to be struggling so hard. We had my blood work done again to see if they'd missed anything. Sure enough, my progesterone levels were half of what they should be.
     I started chlomid. I hated chlomid. I turned into a crazy woman. I remember, sitting at home waiting for J to get home from work, and crying because he wasn't home. It was like, three o'clock in the afternoon and he never came home before five. This stuff was horrible. I took it for two months and said forget it. I didn't like who I was on this medication. It was not worth it.
     We decided to try a round of IUI. It didn't work. My doctor decided to put me on an experimental drug, femara, generally used for post menopausal woman who've had breast cancer. But some woman had had success getting pregnant.
     I took it and we tried another round of IUI. Once again, unsuccessful. I had one more month of femara left. I decided to use it and forget about it. This was the last time. No more pills. No more tests. No more tears.
     Two days after J's twenty seventh birthday we got the news that would change our lives forever. I was pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment